Monday, July 1, 2013

Geometry: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines

I have struggled with this unit for the past three years. I do a great job with the geometry side, but the algebra is really tough to handle. I'm not sure what skills my students have coming in from Algebra 1 and in my first two years I ended up bogged down reteaching. My third year, I set a schedule and limited myself to a set number of days and pushed through. I made my primary focus applying geometry on the grid and tried to make the algebra as logical and visual as possible.

These journal pages are from my second year of teaching.

Pg 1. Unit 2 Coordinate Geometry

Pg 2. Types of Slopes

 

My first attempt at teaching slope with a foldable.

Pg 3. Slope - Intercept Form

I now like to pair rise over run with fall over crawl.

 
 

Pg 4. Parallel vs. Perpendicular