Friday, August 2, 2013

"...bouquet of newly sharpened pencils..."

School Supplies!!! I know I'm a little late to the game. I have been keeping myself buried in tutoring and curriculum building.

I just happened to find myself in Walmart for the first time in about a month, when I stumbled upon the seasonal aisle and found heaven. I was in awe. My significant other gave up and walked away.

The beginning of school and fall is my favorite time of the year. Every year, my mom and I kick back and watch You've Got Mail before school starts. When I see school supplies I think of that line in the movie where Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) says, "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms."

The beginning of school and fall is when my year turns anew and is full of possibilities. One of the tasks I enjoy doing is shopping for school supplies. I haven't been very in depth with my shopping experience this year, so I don't have much to share. If you do, please share!!!

For my first year, I did most of my shopping at Staples. They had the best deals and opportunities for educators. Sadly, I no longer live close to one. This year, I did most of my conservative school supply shopping at the following stores:

Walmart: Bright colored composition books $0.50, expo markers

Dollar Tree: 'teacher journal' composition book, tons of random baskets and tubs

HEB: bold bic pens in multiple colors, basic black composition books $0.50 (they also have them with glitter)

I always buy extra composition books and have them available for the students that couldn't afford to get their own.

Two years ago, I couldn't find these little supplies caddies anywhere. Now, they're everywhere and in a variety of colors. Most of the small ones are just a $1. Those are my favorites.

I have really had to curb my school supply addiction. When we moved the last time, I packed a 8 cubic ft box of writing utensils.

Love love love school supplies!